Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Anointed or Annoying?

I don't know about you, but I certainly have been to my fair share of worship services that are utterly annoying. The community feels closed, the preaching or music drags on, and yes, I've even had an usher try to pull my skirt further down to cover my knees! Bottom line -- for whatever reason -- I've walked in and the Spirit feels like its done flown the coop. I hate to go on a rant about my extended family because I recognize that what might not work for me, may very well work for someone else.

The flip side of course is that for every annoying worship service I've endured, there has been another at some other time or place that has felt anointed and alive. When I stop and think about what has made the difference for me, it has been whether or not I can see myself in the story being told -- through worship, song, prayer, hospitality, etc. It has not necessarily been about the quality of the music, or the charisma of the preacher, or even how good the coffee has been. No, it has been mostly about whether or not I've felt included in the story.

Recently, Arlington UMC under the direction of local talent and FR member Shelby Sours performed "A Century and a Half of Faith" about the church's history. What an amazing history it is. What made me most proud, though, was Shelby's willingness to cast the principles in the play according to their gifts. Shelby made an intentional decision to broaden the story to include men and women of color in some of the key roles. For example, Betty Entzminger (pictured above) played Mrs. Hunter, the church's founding mother who sacrificially donated her land for the first church to be built. Historically accurate? Of course not. Then, why would Shelby take such a risk? To help the community see themselves in our story -- that's why! Fundamentally, this is what Faith Renaissance is about -- helping more people to see themselves in God's story of faith. Annoying? At times, probably. Anointed? Let's hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment